Our thanks to Janae Mulvaine, Housing Program Manager for her help in setting up this workshop.
11 staff members participated in the training at the office of the Union County Mental Health Board in Marysville, Ohio on March 26, 2013.
How did we do?
here's some of the comments from the participants:
It will provide
resources on problems
Landlord Tenant IssuesKnowledge
To help point in
the right way
It will help us
follow the laws and guidelines
knowledge on laws & rights and how to address them
be more informed
Questions and Discussion
1. Is month to month the best rental agreement for landlords? Month to Month is easiest rental agreement to terminate, but that might mean tenant moves in the fall and the unit stays vacant until Spring!
2. Can a landlord rent "as is"? No, landlord tenant law says landlord cannot transfer landlord duties to a tenant. ORC 5321.13
3. If landlord gives a break to a tenant with a felony, does the landlord create a "consistency" problem? MAYBE, but if landlord wants to change his policy to take other factors into consideration, landlord can make a new screen procedure and follow it consistently going into the future.
4. Who can we call if we suspect discrimination? County Fair Housing officers are: Rebecca Roush, Clerk Union County Commissioners Office, 233 West Sixth Street, Marysville, Ohio 43040 (937) 645-3012 (800) 258-8278
Consultant/Agency: Heather Martin Logan-Union-Champaign Regional Planning Commission, 9676 East Foundry Street, P.O. Box 219, East Liberty, Ohio 43319 (937) 666-3431 (888) 666-4612 E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org Web Address: www.lucplanning.com
5. What is "reasonable" heat and hot water? Check the local housing or health code to determine the standard.
Comments Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) has made the community more sensitive to the needs of people with disabilities.